The 5 & Dime announces an OPEN CASTING CALL for its upcoming production of…
THE THANKSGIVING PLAY
Written by Larissa FastHorse
Directed by Bradley Akers
WHEN: Sunday, September 19, 2021
• Registration: 12:00p - 12:30p
• Audition: 12:30p - 4:00p
WHERE: The Florida Ballet (10131 Atlantic Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32225)
PRODUCTION DATES: November 19, 20, 21, 2021
PRODUCTION LOCATION: TBA
ABOUT THE PLAY:
How does one celebrate Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Month at the same time? In Larissa FastHorse’s biting satire, this is the question facing three “woke” white thespians tasked with devising an elementary school pageant about the first Thanksgiving while avoiding any culturally appropriative missteps. A roast of the politics of entertainment and well-meaning political correctness alike, The Thanksgiving Play puts the American origin story itself in the comedy-crosshairs.
LOGAN (F, 20s-40s)
Female, Caucasian looking, the high school drama teacher that’s always pushing the envelope in potentially inappropriate ways. Earnest about theatre and proving herself.
JAXTON (M, 20s-40s)
Male, Caucasian looking, yoga practitioner/actor. Politically correct to a fault, a big one. He’s that confident guy everyone loves, but his logical PC thinking takes weird turns.
ALICIA (F, 20s-40s)
Female, brunette, Caucasian looking but has looks that would have been cast as ethnic in 1950s movies. Without guile. Attractive and vivacious, but not the brightest bulb in the bunch.
CADEN (M, 20s-50s)
Male, Caucasian looking, the academic. Awkward elementary school history teacher with dramatic aspirations but no experience.
• Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
• Please bring a headshot and resume, if available, or a list of experience. (A selfie is okay if you do not have a professional headshot!)
• Please bring ALL known conflicts from September 19 - November 21. The rehearsal schedule will be based on conflicts submitted by cast members.
• The 5 & Dime requires that all cast and crew are fully vaccinated.
• Masks are required throughout the audition. Performers may unmask for their cold reading. We ask that performers remain masked while they are rehearsing their cold readings. The staff and volunteers of The 5 & Dime will remain masked the entire time they are in the building.
• COVID-19 Safety Protocols for the rehearsal and performance process will be provided ahead of the first day of rehearsal.
• Rehearsals will occur primarily on weeknights, with a VERY small amount of weekend rehearsals IF NEEDED.
• Full cast availability is expected in the two weeks prior to performances.
• As a nomadic company, we do not have one singular rehearsal space. Rehearsals occur in a few different spaces throughout the course of the process. The production team is committed to providing ample notice of where rehearsal locations will be, but we appreciate your flexibility!
A NOTE FROM THE DIRECTOR:
Thank you for your interest in The Thanksgiving Play! This is a smart, wickedly funny satire that we are SO proud to bring to the Jacksonville community. I am looking for a group of actors who are ready to PLAY! Bounding energy and relentless bravery is welcome and encouraged as we bring this comedy to life. Remember — I WANT TO CAST YOU! So, show us what you have. Be yourself - be confident - relax - enjoy the process - and HAVE FUN!